- Portland, Oregon
- Santa Fe
- Hudson Valley
- The Hamptons
- New Orleans
- New York City
- Wine Lovers Alto Piemonte & Valle d'Aosta
- Emilia Romagna
- Priorat & Tarragona
- Basque Region & La Rioja
- Ribera del Duero
- Sparkling Champagne
- Julia's Paris
- Provence Package
Charleston's Lowcountry Flavors:
November 12-15, 2018 Reserve this trip
Love the Lowcountry flavors
Join us for a food lover's discovery of Charleston. You'll be reintroduced to all the traditional culinary treasures the comfort-food region has to offer. In true Tour de Forks fashion, you'll also be introduced to the next generation of Lowcountry chefs working with heirloom ingredients in revolutionary ways.
Chew on Charleston's Best
Experience a hands-on cooking class with renowned chef and cooking show host Nathalie Dupree, complete with a tour of a bona fide southern plantation and dinner at Mike Lata's FIG. See first-hand why foodies and chefs around the country can't stop talking about and flocking to Charleston’s booming culinary landscape.
- Arrive in Charleston and check in to the 5-star Belmond Charleston Place Hotel, located in the city's historical downtown district. At noon, you'll meet your guide for a private walking and tasting tour of the area, introducing you to the local history and culture. You'll discover how Charleston's unique cuisine has evolved over the past 300-plus years while sampling a panoply of specialties, from stone-ground grits to benne wafers.
- The evening kicks off with a welcome dinner, a four-course tasting menu at the award-winning Charleston Grill, where Executive Chef Michelle Weaver creates visually stunning and mouthwatering contemporary southern dishes using fresh local produce, seafood and game.
- Breakfast at the hotel is followed by a private transfer to Middleton Place. This meticulously maintained 18th-century plantation is a National Historic Landmark and home to America's oldest landscaped gardens. Here you'll enjoy a Lowcountry lunch cooked by Chef Brandon Buck. The menu will feature Carolina Gold rice, seasonal produce from the garden, as well as sustainable seafood and pork. A guided museum tour will explore Middleton's family history and the lifestyle of the planter class.
- Afterwards, you'll visit the Middleton Place stable-yards, where you'll get to meet the heritage breeds that live and work on the farm, including Cashmere Goats, Guinea Hogs, River Water Buffalo, Brown Swiss and Jersey cows. Then, you'll be taken through the cultivation of Carolina Gold rice as you examine the life of an African-American slave on a rice plantation. Finally, you'll visit the magnificent landscaped gardens. Transfer back to the hotel.
- Strike out on your own for dinner. We'll provide you with several irresistible recommendations.
- Breakfast at the hotel. This morning, enjoy a hands-on cooking class with author, chef and cooking show host, Nathalie Dupree. Prepare a three-course meal, including classic biscuits and shrimp with grits, then enjoy it for lunch. Walk back to the hotel.
- Spend the afternoon at your leisure, relaxing or shopping. You might even opt to pamper yourself with a spa treatment at Charleston Place's ward-winning spa.
- This evening, dinner is at James Beard Award winner Chef Mike Lata's FIG, where you will have your farewell dinner. Elevated takes on Southern classics with seasonal ingredients served in an upscale-bistro setting.
- Enjoy breakfast at the hotel, you are at leisure until your departure.